Wednesday, April 19, 2017

So it begins

So I figured I'd get this out of the way before I really disappear out of the spotlight for a long time.

Last Friday, April 14 my roommate Jay, a good buddy Kevin, and Gino Cappuccino brought me to the airport to begin my new journey. After a quick layover in Houston I landed in LA and began meeting my fellow Peace Corps Trainees. Fast forward to dinner at We're Pouring, lots of great beers and pizza at this little craft beer bar. Sessions the next day then here is where the story really begins.

Bus to LAX - Arrive at 6:45pm + Boarding at 11:20pm = Check-in not available yet.

Wait and wait and wait. Finally all 41 of us got checked in and made it into the international terminal. Flight takes off I sleep 8 out of the 11 hours of the flight. When I awoke I watched Arrival. I highly recommend it. It was probably the most fitting movie any person can watch on a plane before going to a foreign land for 27 months.

We landed in Fiji around 5am and we were supposed to transfer into the international terminal to wait 8 hours for our next flight, but alas that didn't happen. We were forced to go thru customs and wait in the departure terminal for 6 hours, Fiji Passport Stamp!!! The good news the PC Director in Fiji came thru for us and got us a few hotel rooms so we shower and relax a bit before the next leg of the trip. We brought our luggage up for check-in but guess what, we were only allowed to bring half of our items on the plane, the other half would arrive on the next plane...two days later. Delay after delay after delay until finally we walked the tarmac to the prop plane and started the bumpy 2 1/2 hour hop, skip, and a jump to Vanuatu. Arriving to a warm welcome by PC Staff we all boarded mini buses to an amazingly beautiful resort.

Group 29 departs the "posh life" for "village life" starting tomorrow. I couldn't be more excited. I've been longing for this. Communication will probably stop, I'm on wifi right now. Who knows when I'll be able to talk with anyone outside of of Vanuatu, but I'm okay with that, and I know you are too.

Be well y'all. The time will pass faster than you know it. I miss you.

Tomorrow I resume The hardest job I've ever loved.

1 comment:

  1. What a Great Adventure, but certainly one that is in some ways familiar from your first Peace Corp assignment in Malawi. We will monitor all known contact points and look forward to reading about the experiences you feel compelled to share. So proud of you and your colleagues. We need more of this kind of inspiration in our lives. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete